We have a dedicated mission to volunteer each Friday at the Pinellas County historical park, Heritage Village. We demonstrate and discuss quilting in the fiber arts building for park visitors and Pinellas County school children.
It is also our tradition to make quilts and quilted items to meet the needs of a variety of charitable institutions. Every few months the members meet to make lap quilts, baby quilts, quilted walker bags and other sewn items for a designated facility or organization such as the VA hospital at Bay Pines.
Every other year single-bed-size quilts are made by members for the Brookwood Home for Girls. These quilts are given to the girls for special occasions. The ideal size for these quilts is about 65 x 80 to fit a twin or long twin bed. We hope to give Brookwood at least 100 quilt in early 2020
Largo Cracker Quilters feel it is important to use our skills to give back to the community. Our bienniel Quilt shows allow us to raise revenue to support local charities such as the RCS Food Bank. Also over the two years since 2009 our members have produced and donated the following:
- Christmas stockings for CASA
- Place-mats and table runners for Habitat for Humanity
- Lap quilts for wheelchair-bound, disabled, American veterans at the VA Hospital
- Bed quilts for Brookwood School for Girls
- 2,000 lbs. of non-perishable food and household goods for RCS
- Cash donations to Christian Outreach Center
SIZES FOR PROJECTS
- Twin — 81″ x 96″ to fit a twin mattress measuring 39″ x 75″
- Twin XL — 81 x 101″ to fit an extra long twin mattress measuring 39″ x 80″
Both allow for a 21 inch drop along the side.
VA Lap Quilts — 38″ – 40″ long by 33″ – 35″ wide.
CASA Stockings — There is a template we use for stockings.
Habitat for Humanity — Any size table-runner or place-mats.
For all of the projects listed here, batting is available at the church for you to use. Backing fabric is also occasionally available. And don’t forget to add one of our LCQ labels.